Asansol Girls’ College was founded mostly due to untiring efforts of Dr. Lalit Mohan Sen, the then C.S.O., Mines Board of Health and his worthy wife Smt. Kamala Sen. It was established in 1950, when in this coalfield region, there was no higher education centre only for women. From a humble beginning as an Intermediate College, very soon in 1957-58, it was upgraded to a Degree College. Due to its reputation as an academic centre, the West Bengal Government recognised it as a Government Sponsored College in 1956. The beginning of this college was in the premises of the Manimala Girls’ High School. In 1962 the college was shifted to the present building. The college owes a great debt to Late Dr. Anjali Roy, a dedicated educationist and principal of this college, who nurtured it from its adolescence to a prestigious institution. To meet the increasing demand for higher education of the girl students of this industrial belt a Morning Section with B.A. and B.Com. Courses were opened. This college has already celebrated its Golden Jubilee in the year 2000.
At present the college has a student strength of about two thousand. We have a record of reputation in this region for good academic ambience. Students of this college are distinguished in Burdwan University, not only for their academic excellence but also for their co-curricular activities.
Ever since its inception the college has earnestly endeavoured to achieve its goal with sustained efforts through decades and it is reflected in our academic results.
The National Assessment and Accreditation Council has accredited Asansol Girls’ College with an award of grade A.